Senior Real-time Software / Firmware Engineer
We're looking for an outstanding embedded software and firmware engineer to join the R&D team. The work will primarily be focused on development of high performance real-time embedded audio processing and application software running on multicore microprocessors. You'll be involved throughout the development cycle optimizing existing products, evaluating technology and developing new products. We’re looking for someone who is logical, can grasp complex concepts and has a thorough engineering approach with strong design, test, review and debugging skills.
Your responsibility will be to develop embedded code for state of the art audio equipment. There will be challenging technical requirements in areas including low latency, processor resource optimization, system tuning, inter-process communication and audio fidelity. Collaboration is crucial to the role, both with the technical and project management teams, to ensure the complexity of tasks are assessed and delivered efficiently.
You will be part of an energetic and creative team designing industry leading sound recording and music production equipment in an exciting company which is committed to grow and evolve.
An ideal candidate would:
- possess strong coding skills in C and have familiarity with C++
- have experience of writing real-time software on processors such as DSPs or XMOS
- knowledge and experience of the USB interface protocol and USB device operation
- ability to understand and clearly articulate complex architectural concepts
- be comfortable maintaining a codebase which supports both legacy and current products
- apply knowledge of designing, testing and problem solving in a range of scenarios
- have familiarity with automated unit, regression and integration testing approaches
- understand basic digital electronics
- ability to analyze different approaches and present the tradeoffs between cost, quality and time
- have flexibility, curiosity, pragmatism and lateral thinking abilities.
- be interested in music and development of audio equipment
Incorporating both the Focusrite and Novation brands, we make music easy to make, from bedroom DJs to the greatest show on earth. Everyone who works here has an enormous passion for music: as it says on our website, sound is everything. We take that very seriously – though we have a lot of fun doing it.
As the number one selling audio interface brand worldwide, Focusrite has an illustrious, prestigious, and, let’s face it, cool history. Alongside Novation, the hardware and software that we develop plays an instrumental (see what we did there?) role in shaping the sound of modern music. From amateur to pro, our goal is to help musicians to make their music the very best it can be.
Music has always been an exciting thing to be involved with, and that’s not about to change. We embrace its evolution, and that means being open to new ideas. Our whole business is structured to let everyone contribute and be heard at all levels, and we make sure it’s a fun place to work.
Benefits include company pension, life insurance, private healthcare, employee purchase scheme and share options, (Plus, you get free breakfast and lunch in the canteen. No really.). Company hack-days, making things easy days, lunch and learns, external visits – we’re all about innovation, fresh thinking and great, great products.
We work hard. We are professional. We select really, really talented people. And we absolutely love our work. So if you think you can bring something new to the mix, we’ll be looking forward to hearing from you.